Let’s face it–even before you arrive at work in the morning, you think about what you’ll do when you return home later that day. When you finally arrive at the office, you think longingly about your warm bed, your Netflix account, your friends and family, and you dread the coming hours. You know your job matters, but sometimes you, like Belle, want “so much more than they’ve got planned.”
You don’t have to hand in your resignation and backpack across Europe to get more out of your day. Instead, keep the 10 quotes below in mind as you tackle the shift’s responsibilities. You may find that these quotes inspire you to excel at your job, which will open up future career opportunities. Or, if nothing else, they’ll boost your mood and keep you motivated as you rake in that essential cash.
1. “You must be imaginative, strong hearted. You must try things that may not work, and you must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul. What I say is true-anyone can cook . . . but only the fearless can be great.” – Gusteau, “Ratatouille“
Of course, you shouldn’t jump in and take over your supervisors’ responsibilities, and you shouldn’t behave so out of the ordinary that you alienate your coworkers. However, you should push your limits as far as coming up with ideas that help improve processes or make the work environment more pleasant for everyone. If you take initiative, your boss will reward you.
2. “Yes, you wish and you dream with all your little heart. But you remember, Tiana, that old star can only take you part of the way. You gotta help along with some hard work of your own, and then, yeah, you can do anything you set your mind to.” – James, “The Princess and the Frog“
Unfortunately, talents and dreams only get you so far. If you want to succeed and make a difference at work, you have to have focus. And when you work hard and prove what a valuable asset you are, you could have a bonus, a raise, or a reward in your future.
3. “There are those who say fate is something beyond our command, that destiny is not our own, but I know better. Our fate lives within us-you only have to be brave enough to see it.” – Merida, “Brave“
Some employees sit around and wait for their supervisors to make decisions for them. But you shouldn’t do the same. Take your fate into your own hands and ask questions, participate in ideation, etc. Don’t wait for your boss to simply notice you. Chances are you’ll get the new keyboard, chair, or wage if you ask for them.
4. “Life’s not a spectator sport. If watching is all you’re going to do, then you’re going to watch your life go by without you.” – Laverne, “The Hunchback of Notre Dame“
Don’t wait for everyone else to show initiative. Lead the pack and work without needing supervision or guidance. You’ll make yourself a more valuable employee and get the praise you deserve.
5. “I am on my way. Ican go the distance. I don’t care how far. Somehow I’ll be strong. I know every mile will be worth my while.” – Hercules, “Hercules“
In some cases, you may have to wait before you make as much money as you’d like or earn enough vacation days to visit Thailand. However, if you can go the distance, you’ll get what you want eventually.
6. “The very things that hold you down are going to lift you up.” – Timothy Mouse, “Dumbo”
When things seem hard, remember that all those frustrating days and difficult tasks hone your skills and talents, making you a more valuable current employee and future new hire.
7. “There’s no one I’d rather be than me.” – Ralph, “Wreck-It Ralph“
Ralph’s character hated his job. If you find yourself in a similar situation, you may vent your frustration, but remember: your job doesn’t define you. Don’t let your job make you hate yourself. You can change your situation.
8. “Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one.” – Grandmother Willow, “Pocahontas”
You may want to quit your job and travel the world, but you may end up exhausting your savings and getting stranded in some foreign city. Be patient and choose the wiser path, even though it may seem hard.
9. “There is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – Christopher Robin, “Pooh’s Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin“
Perhaps you work with people who don’t make you feel as valued or liked as you should. Keep this quote in mind-you need only your own validation to have a strong self-esteem.
10. “Everything that made that giant tree is already contained inside this tiny little seed. All it needs is some time, a little bit of sunshine and rain, and voila! Now, you might not feel like you can do much now, but that’s just because, well, you’re not a tree yet. You just have to give yourself some time. You’re still a seed.” – Flik, “A Bug’s Life“
Regardless of your age or position at work, you still haven’t realized your full potential. You still have skills to perfect and talents to explore. You are more than your job title. And if you feel down, think of these quotes for a little motivation throughout the work day. They’ll help you handle your responsibilities with a skip in your step and a smile on your face.